Sunday, 31 October 2010
Mwahhhaaah! Happy Halloween to all you spooks out there. Yet again it's been a while since I posted, but at least I have been making something. If I'd had my thinking cap on I'd have taken some photos as I was doing it, but this Halloween mask is really sooo simple to make it I think you can do without them. First take a rectangle of grey felt long enough and wide enough to fit round your eyes (you could measure this, but really you'll get a good enough result by guesstimating). Then take a square of medium weight iron on interfacing the same size as the felt and iron it on to the back. Next iron on some bondaweb onto the front followed by the spiderweb lace (cover with a tea towel when ironing this on). Then you just need to draw your mask shape on to the back of the interfacing and cut out (you may want to practice and make up a paper template first). To get the right positioning for the eyes I put my glasses down on the back of the mask and marked round them. If you don't wear glasses then you could try holding on to your face the wrong way round (interfacing outwards) and marking the points for the outer corners of your eyes that way. It's a good idea to cut one eye first then fold the mask in half and draw round the cut out for the second eye to ensure that they're positioned symmetrically. Now you just need to sew on some elastic (measure it round your head from one side of the mask to the other and remember to make it a little shorter so it isn't loose). Here's how the finished mask looks without spookyvision:
Looking back to my halloween photos from last year shows just what a difference a year makes. Two have grown and one (me) has shrunk. I don't know why I haven't got round to blogging about it, but since March this year I've been doing weight watchers and finally reached my goal weight last Tuesday having lost 2st 11.5 lb - quite a chunk of me really. If you're struggling to visualise just how much that is (and I can never quite get my head round it) it's basically as much as the young skeleton in this years picture - don't think I'd fancy carrying round one of him all day now, but I was!
Wednesday, 27 October 2010
knee (as in 'I want to sit on your' or just 'knee, knee, knee' in lottalingo.
no - I think I'm going to be hearing a lot of this last one.
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
Quite shocking to see that the last time that I blogged was Easter - not very good going. I've had to switch comments on to moderation now after that last post was deluged with spam comments in chinese (?) script.
Sunday, 4 April 2010
Thursday, 18 February 2010
Anyway I thought the occasion deserved to be marked with something special - I've been itching to have a go at making one of these machine embroidered cards since I got a copy of Poppy Treffry's 'Free and Easy Stitch Style' for christmas (a great book by the way - I would reccomend it to anyone wanting to have a go at this style of machine embroidery/applique). I thought it was a great idea to cover the whole card with fabric - I've seen lots before which just have a little embroidered or appliqued motif stuck to the front of the card, but covering the whole card with fabric gives it a really nice finish and has the bonus of making a good dent in my fabric stash too. Assuming I can find the time, I can see myself making quite a few more of these especially as I have a number of birthdays coming up in the near future.
Tuesday, 2 February 2010
Well last year I started with no resoloutions so I can truthfully say I didn't fall behind on any of them! This year though I'd like to try and get a bit more done on the crafting front so I was delighted to see that Helen has started A Make a Month group on flickr Crafting 365 certainly ain't going to happen for me, but I think one make a month is a nice achievable target to set and if I manage more then so much the better.
I had already planned to make a taggie blanket as a birthday present for my little girl who will be one in February and is starting nursery soon (yikes - where has the time gone)! She seems to be rather taken with blankies at the moment so I decided to take the plunge and buy some minkie to make one. Originally I was planning to make a patchwork one with some lovely Liberty Tania Lawn fabric I bought recently, but after taking stock I realised I'd never get it done in time so I raided my stash of Japanese prints and found this adorable fabric which I hadn't quite known what to do with.